Wednesday 24 September 2014

This one time, in BA

As Amelia so rightly pointed out in our last post, I’ve really not banged on about going to Buenos Aires whatsoever. As you’re all clearly not sick of my stories yet I’m going to talk about it once again.

While Amelia and Jack took a romantic trip to La Serena, I accidentally ended up on my own couple’s getaway to Buenos Aires. Due to unforeseen circumstances I left for Argentina with just Charlie, readily prepared for assumptions from everyone that we were a couple, despite having met only twice before.

BA is amazing. The city has so much character and atmosphere; it’s like a shabby Paris with all its beautiful architecture and wide boulevards lined with outdoor cafes. The place is huge and each of its districts are extremely different, in terms of both character and wealth. The night life is also great, or all 30 minutes that I experienced of it before deciding I needed to finally end my 44 hour streak of no sleep. I spent the next half day awkwardly making trips to the 8-man dorm bathroom to be sick. Shout out to the cocktail Possible Seizure for making this possible.

On that note, we really weren’t that safety aware in general. On one of Charlie’s nights out, he ended up leaving the club temporarily for some air, falling asleep against a car for an hour and a half in a backstreet, then waking up at about 4 and re-entering the club until 8. Strong.

We roamed through some more dodgy streets as obvious tourists when we went to a match at the Independiente stadium – the atmosphere for this was unbelievable, especially given that the result was 5-3 to Independiente. The entire stadium jumped and fist pumped in unison, and fans were climbing the fences around the pitch.


I also woke up one night to two fellow dorm-dwellers having sex next to my head. So that’s good.

Upon returning to Chile, I had to persuade (lie to) the authorities to let me back in the country, given that I knowingly left without sufficient documentation to re-enter. So I’m now technically an illegal immigrant. Despite all this we finished the trip pretty much intact, having gained a severe amount of weight from Argentinian steak and alfajores (these are a kind of chocolatey cakey biscuit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOKKPJzr-4w), and lacking only a bank card, some stolen clothes, and a fair amount of money and health.

Plaza de Mayo


Power couple


Very inconspicuous tourists

No comments:

Post a Comment